Monday, November 10, 2008

Wind Power

Using the wind as a source of energy has been around for a long time. You might of seen a windmill on a farm. When the blades turn, it rotates a turbine inside a small generator to produce energy. You can make one too by following these instructions.

Materials
the template on the right
scissors
a toothpick
a straw
sticky tape

Instructions
  1. Cut out the template.
  2. Decorate it
  3. From the corners of the square cut until you reach the line
  4. At every dot, fold it into the middle
  5. Sticky tape them there
  6. Cut your toothpick in half
  7. Poke a hole big enough at the top of the straw to put your toothpick in
  8. Put your thumbtack or split pin in. Make sure that paper is not touching the straw
  9. There you have it! Now blow directly at the front

Note that this is something that I have tested out and I have made by mixing different instructions together. I anything goes wrong, I am to blame.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Great! You are a star!

H'mmm can you remember to ask the others tomorrow for a pizza box?

Now I am hungry for pizza! :)

Leslie said...

Ok - continue to make it please but it IS NOT TO BE PUT IN THE SUN AT ALL OR there will be trouble. It is an oven and may not be used without my direct supervision. It will need to be locked up.

I won't be back until Monday now.

Leslie said...

Please research pee wees. We know them as magpie larks. They live in Brisbane.

I need interesting info to put on the science blog.

I will have close up pictures of a nesting bird to go with the info.

Leslie said...

Yes, I often have to "read and delete" for Took. :)

Yes, excellent idea to make another one with the Little Ones. maybe tomorrow's relief will let you do it all afternoon?

I can't wait to try cooking on it. It sounds so cool.

Yes, an excellent idea to do it for homework.

Did you do Degas yet for art? If so, there is Seurat. I adore Seurat.

Poem: Clancy of the Overflow. It is a favourite today with me.

Author, setting, distinctive parts of language, famous quotes from it, and lastly, your impressions.

I quoted it on the Internet today.

Did you bring back the Trixie? If you did, there is another one in the office for when you finish the one you have. Tell Mr McL I said you could have it when you bring back #3.

I am glad I read The Lord of the Flies as a young adult but I will never read it again.