Sunday, November 9, 2008

Poem - Two Drops of Rain

These are my two drops of rain
Waiting on the window-pane.
I am waiting here to see
Which the winning one will be.
Both of them have different names.
One is John and one is James.
All the best and all the worst
Comes from which of them is first.
James has just begun to ooze.
He's the one I want to lose.
John is waiting to begin.
He's the one I want to win.
James is going slowly on.
Something sort of sticks to John.
John is moving off at last.
James is going pretty fast.
John is rushing down the pane.
James is going slow again.
James has met a sort of smear.
John is getting very near.
Is he going fast enough?
(James has found a piece of fluff.)
John has quickly hurried by.
(James was talking to a fly.)
John is there, and John has won!
Look! I told you!
Here's the sun!

By A.A. Milne

By the looks of things, this is a child who is bored by the rain and is looking at two raindrops on their window. One is James and one in John. The child is giving these characters personification by making them sound as if they are running. A the end of the poem John has won but they totally forget about it and realise they can go out and play.

I found this poem very enjoyable to read because of the simple English and the funny topic.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Ahhhh! Well done! I have Trixie #3 in my LeSportsac.