As man's ingratitude;
Thy tooth is not so keen,
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude.
Heigh-ho! sing, heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship if feigning, most loving mere folly:
Then heigh-ho, the holly!
This life is most jolly.
Freeze, freeze thou bitter sky,
That does not bite so nigh
As benefits forgot:
Though thou the waters warp,
Thy sting is not so sharp
As a friend remembered not.
Heigh-ho! sing, heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship if feigning, most loving mere folly:
Then heigh-ho, the holly!
This life is most jolly.
By William Shakespeare
I tried to make this poem into a modern English version. I researched the words I didn't know and this is what I have.
A man's ungratefulness
My tooth is not so keen
Because your art doesn't seem
Your breath is coarse
Heigh-ho! sing, heigh-ho! until the green holly
Most friendship if pretending, most loving mere foolishness
Then heigh-ho, the holly!
This life is most jolly.
Freeze, freeze your bitter sky
That does not bite so close
Though your waters twist and turn,
Your sting is not so sharp
As a friend remembered not.
Heigh-ho! sing, heigh-ho! until the green holly
Most friendship if pretending, most loving mere foolishness
Then heigh-ho, the holly!
This life is most jolly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Slinky,I had fed your Bamby twice when I read this poem. - clue
Post a Comment