Thursday, March 26, 2009

Albert Namtjira Facts - 1

General
  • He was a famous Indigenous painter
  • His medium was watercolours Born 28th July 1902
  • Mother Arrernte woman called Ljukuta. Father Arrernte man named Namatjira

Inspiration

  • Inspiration included Rex Battarbee and John Gardner. Rex a Australian, John unknown.
  • In 1934 Rex and John held an exhibition (2 days) at the Hermannsberg. Albert's missionary close to the exhibition.
  • About 300 Aborigines came to see the paintings. Albert was 32 when he got to see this inspiring exhibit.

Early Life

  • Arrernte customs say that the boy's name would not be given to him until he had been initiated.
  • This changed when Albert's parents became Christians in 1905.
  • Both were renamed and remarried to Jonathan and Emelia.
  • Son was baptised Albert
  • Grew up in a mission
  • Although in a mission and attended church and school, mum and dad still taught him Arrernte.
  • Taught him his country, his language, palce in Arrernte society, who he could marry, how to survive on land and other things to live responsibly as an Arrernte man.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Ok, I learned a lot then!

Who taught him to paint? What was his style called?

What type of things did he paint?

What colours did he use/prefer?

Where did he live? Did he travel in Australia?

- Questions I am interested in learning about. :)

Leslie said...

I have learned how to teach blending now. Come see me and I can show you.

Poor you with your cast. I had one when I was 8.

Leslie said...

Yes, it's an Erica overlay and a new set of her backgrounds.

I have been teaching "masks" at computer club.

Looking forward to your assembly!